Saturday, August 15, 2026

Kasha with Mushrooms

When I was studying and working in the former Soviet Union I quickly discovered that not eating mushrooms really wasn't an option if I wanted to be a good guest. Thankfully I soon found I enjoyed many of the ways mushrooms are prepared in Russian and Ukrainian cuisine. Today's recipe features one of my favourites: Buckwheat kasha with mushrooms. I've generally followed Olga's lovely recipe with some borrowings from Adina's recipe and adaptations to better fit my own taste. If you try it out I hope you enjoy it as much as I have, and do!


Kasha with Mushrooms

(1 serving*)


Ingredients

1/2 cup of dry mushrooms (rinsed)

Hot water (as needed**)

1/2 tablespoon of butter***

1/2 tablespoon of vegetable oil

1/2 medium onion (chopped)

Salt (to taste)

1 1/4 cups of mushroom water (from above)

1/2 cup of roasted buckwheat groats (rinsed)

1 teaspoon of bouillon powder

Black pepper (to taste)

Dill (to taste)

Parsley (to taste)


*This makes for one hearty serving for me when I'm hungry. If it's being served with sides, a side itself, et cetera, it could easily serve two or three.

**Use water that's just boiled - if you use one and a quarter cups you'll have what you need later for cooking the kasha.

***If you're vegan, fasting, et cetera, then skip the butter and use a tablespoon of oil.


Directions

1) Cover the dried mushrooms with hot water and leave them to rehydrate for 10 minutes before removing the mushrooms (being sure to save the water!) and chopping them.

2) While he mushrooms are rehydrating, add the butter and oil (or just oil) to a small pot with tight-fitting lid. Place the pot over medium heat and sauté the onion till translucent. Sprinkle the onion sparingly with salt - you can can add more later if need be.

3) Stir the chopped mushrooms into the pot and continue sautéing for another three or four minutes.

4) Add the buckwheat groats, reserved mushroom water, bouillon, and remaining seasonings, bring everything to a boil, then cover the pot - reducing the heat to low - and let it simmer for 20 minutes.

5) Serve the mushroom kasha as is or with sides of your choice (or as a side to other dishes) and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment