Friday, January 31, 2014

Apple Cake with Caramel Sauce

Okay, so here's the deal: I'm not a big fan of baked apples. Apple pie? Meh. Apple crumble? Pass the crumble please! All the same, when I was looking for a dessert to make for Sunday lunch at church this weekend I ran across an apple cake recipe that made me hungry. (I think it's the repressed American inside me - he just can't help wanting to be free now and again ;-).) Halfway through the baking process I started wondering what kind of a horrible mistake I'd made - apples? In a cake??? But this cake is the real deal! I can no longer say I hate baked apple products, 'cause this was amazing. Especially with the caramel sauce, but even without it!

The recipe here is an amalgamation of a couple of recipes - the first one I came across had great spicing, but called for a bundt pan (ain't nobody got time for that!) - with a couple of additions of my own. I think this would go great with some whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, but it's phenomenal on its own as well. Enjoy!


Apple Cake with Caramel Sauce

Ingredients
Apple Cake
3/4 cups of vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups of sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1 teaspoon of almond extract
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon of ginger
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 cup of walnuts (chopped)
2 cups of all-purpose flour
4 cups of apple (chopped)
Caramel Sauce
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1/2 cup of butter
1/2 cup of milk or coconut milk
1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla
1 tablespoon of flour

Directions
1) Lord, bless!
2) Cream the oil and sugar.
3) Add the eggs to the oil/sugar mixture and beat well, then add the remaining ingredients (excluding the apple).
4) Add the chopped apple and mix thoroughly - the apple should moisten the cake batter.
5) Grease a 9 x 13 pan, spread the batter evenly, and bake at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 to 45 minutes, until a knife or toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
6) Once the cake is close to done melt the brown sugar, butter, milk, and vanilla together in a small saucepan until they're thoroughly blended. Once the butter's completely melted slowly blend in the flour, and continue to stir until the sauce has thickened slightly.
7) Let the cake cool, and loosen the sides with a knife. Pour the caramel sauce over the cake or reserve it to set out as an option and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment