Thursday, February 25, 2021

Salsa Scrambled Eggs with Sausage

 I'm sure there a million much better, more authentic versions of this out there, but this was born from a craving for a fusion of the pre-Lent indulging going on right now, Tex-Mex, and my favorite Chinese breakfast, xīhóngshì chǎo jīdàn. (Which is not a breakfast dish per se, but became a go-to breakfast for me when I was living in Manchuria.) I hope you enjoy what resulted as much as I do!


Salsa Scrambled Eggs with Sausage


Ingredients

1 breakfast sausage patty*

2 eggs

Cilantro (to taste)

Parsley (to taste)

Pepper (to taste)

Salt (to taste)

1/2 cup of salsa

1/4 cup of water

Sriracha (to taste)

1/8 cup of shredded cheese**

Sour cream (to taste)


*I used a medium-large one, but a smaller patty might have been a better choice.

**I had cheddar on hand, but use what you think would work best!


Directions

1) Crumble the sausage and cook in a pan until done, then set aside.

2) Whisk the eggs with the seasonings and scramble them in the sausage grease to your preference.

3) Return the sausage to the pan, add the salsa, water, and sriracha, and cook until everything reaches your desired consistency.

4) Serve with a sprinkling of cheese and dollop of sour cream (and some fresh cilantro if desired) and enjoy! (I didn't have any tortillas on hand, but discovered paratha works well as a substitute in this case!)

No comments:

Post a Comment