Saturday, April 16, 2022

Cheater's Handkerchiefs with Sauce

Recently I was trying to figure out a vegan use for some lasagna noodles that have been sitting in my pantry for far too long when I came across some gorgeous recipes for Genoa's mandilli de sea or 'silk handkerchiefs.' I'm not one to be discouraged by having the wrong pasta, not having the equipment to make the right pasta, or having the wrong sauce on hand, so what follows below is a poor adaptation inspired by both the lovely pesto mandilli de sea recipes I read and the necessities of Lent. This hit the spot for my husband and I, so I hope it will do the same for you! (If nothing else it's a great use for leftover lasagna noodles!)


Cheater's* Handkerchiefs with Sauce

(4 servings)


Ingredients

2 tablespoons of olive oil

1 large carrot (diced)

1 stalk of celery (diced)

1 large onion (diced)

5 cloves of garlic (crushed or minced)

Black pepper (to taste)

Parsley (to taste)

Red pepper flakes (to taste)

680ml / 24oz jar of spaghetti sauce**

Red wine (if desired)

500g / 18oz of lasagna noodles*** (broken into thirds)

Parmesan (if desired)


*Cheater's because I've taken every shortcut possible with this recipe!

**I generally use something with more veggies and/or garlic.

***I prefer spinach or whole grain lasagna noodles, but to each their own.


Directions

1) Heat the olive oil in a medium-large skillet over medium heat and sauté the carrot, celery, and onion until the onion is translucent and tender, then add the garlic and continue sautéing until fragrant.

2) Add the black pepper, parsley, and red pepper flakes and sauté another minute before incorporating the spaghetti sauce and a little red wine (if available and desired) and simmering.

3) Once the sauce is simmering bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the lasagna noodles to your desired doneness, then mix with the sauce and serve as is or with parmesan (if desired) and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment