Monday, December 5, 2022

Flexible Dog Food

I usually stick to posting recipes for one species on here, but I keep forgetting the template I've been following for my miniature schnauzer's homemade meals and having to recreate it, so I'm posting this as a memory aid for myself! It's super simple and straightforward, and a big hit with my fur baby. If your dog enjoys it too, then all the better! Mine is small enough that she gets about 2/3 of a cup to a cup per meal, but obviously that is for a dog of her size - adjust accordingly if you want to try this out with your own!

This is a flexible dog food recipe because the protein varies. No one likes the same nonsense over and over again at mealtimes (delicious or no), and the same goes for my schnauzer! When I started making her meals myself I worried not changing them up enough would annoy her, but switching out the meat seems to do the trick for her - we generally aim for cheap, and so far chicken hearts, liver, and ground beef have all been popular with her. It's a mix and match sort of approach, so use what's available (and safe) for your own dog!


Flexible Dog Food

(10 servings*)


Ingredients

1 1/2 cups of dry brown rice

2 1/4 cups of water

1 tablespoon of canola or olive oil

500g / 1lb of meat

2 cups of frozen peas 'n carrots

Parsley (to taste)

2 eggs

1 tablespoon of water


*This makes about 10 servings for our miniature schnauzer, this would obviously vary depending on how much your dog needs to eat.


Directions

1) Thoroughly rinse the rice, place it and the water in your rice cooker, and then leave it be till it's done cooking.

2) Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat and sauté the meat and frozen peas and carrots until done, then stir in the parsley and rice and reduce the heat to medium-low.

3) Whisk the eggs together with the remaining water and slowly incorporate them into the pan to distribute the egg throughout the food.

4) Serve as is and let your little one enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment