It's funny how the change of seasons can bring about a change in tastes and desires. Fall comes and I crave all things pumpkin, and then American Thanksgiving comes and goes and suddenly all I can think about are these ginger cookies :-). And since the Advent Fast gets going shortly after Thanksgiving, having a vegan recipe is a must! This is a tweaked version of a recipe that can be found here.
2 cups of all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1/4 teaspoon of salt
2 1/2 tablespoons of ground ginger
1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon of ground cloves
1/2 cup of vegetable oil
1/4 cup of molasses
1/4 of almond or coconut milk
1 1/4 cups of sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1 teaspoon of almond extract*
*Unless you used almond milk.
1) Lord, bless!
2) Mix the dry ingredients - minus the sugar and a 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon - in a bowl and set aside.
3) In a large bowl blend the wet ingredients together with 1 cup of sugar.
4) Gradually stir the dry ingredients into the wet until well blended.
5) Mix the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon with the 1/4 cup of sugar left over.
6) Roll the dough into balls - larger for soft-centered cookies, smaller for crispier ones - and roll them in the cinnamon sugar before pressing them down (evenly spaced) on a prepared baking sheet.
7) Bake for 10 to 15 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit and enjoy!