Wednesday, January 7, 2015

German Pancakes

I made this for brunch for the Nativity this year and it was just lovely! The interior texture reminded me of breading pudding - I may just add raisins the next time I make this! And so much nicer to throw this in the oven than to stand by the hot plate making regular pancakes and either eating them right there or eating cold pancakes by the time they're all cooked!


You can find the original recipe here. Most of my modifications were made off of recommendations in the comments. The comments also said you could do this with fewer eggs though, which just goes to show that crazy truly is everywhere! (Although it could - just might - be that I am overreacting to the past 40 days of veganism...)



German Pancakes

Ingredients
3 tablespoons of butter
1 cup of all-purpose flour
1 cup of milk
6 eggs (lightly beaten)
3 tablespoons of sugar
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon of salt
Powdered sugar (if desired)

Directions
1) Lord, bless!
2) Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and melt the butter in your *baking dish.
3) Combine all the ingredients - whisking to be sure there aren't any large clumps - and then pour into the prepared baking dish.
4) Bake on the center rack for 20 minutes or so until golden brown. (Given the dimensions of my baking dish I ended up having to cover the pan 20 minutes in and bake it another 30 minutes before it was finally cooked all the way through, and then it grew so much it burned the top - next time I'll definitely be halving the recipe!)
5) Serve with a dusting of powdered sugar (if desired) and some **syrup (or even sour cream!), and enjoy!

*I currently only have a tiny countertop oven, so the dish I used was a round, 7-inch across, 3-inch deep baking dish. Keep in mind that your cooking time might need to be adjusted depending on the size and depth of the dish you use!
**Live in a place without easy access to syrup? Have I got a recipe for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment