Monday, November 21, 2016

Tomato Basil Quiche

I'm not sure why I made this quiche to be honest, when I started making it I was singularly unexcited about it! But the end result was lovely, and I would definitely make it again! (Otherwise it wouldn't be getting posted here, that's for sure!)


The recipe that follows is a slight adaptation of this recipe. As always, I added garlic because honestly, how do you make a meal without garlic!? I had planned to use thyme as called for and I thought I had thyme, but when it came time (haha!) to add the thyme I couldn't find any, so in went the basil instead and I must say I think I like the basil better! Whatever you do I'm sure it will taste amazing, it's hard to go wrong with so much cheese and cream!


Tomato Quiche

Ingredients
2 tablespoons of butter or olive oil
1 medium onion (chopped)
4 to 6 large cloves of garlic (crushed or minced)
1 teaspoon of basil
1 teaspoon of salt
2 large tomatoes (peeled/chopped/drained)*
1/2 teaspoon of pepper
1 unbaked pie crust (9 or 10 inches)
2 cups of Monterey Jack cheese (shredded)
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups of half-'n-half

*In the original recipe it said to seed the tomatoes to, but I ain't got no time for that and I'm guessing you don't either! It made absolutely zero difference in the end result, the seeds weren't noticeable at all.

Directions
1) Lord, bless!
2) In a large skillet melt the butter (or heat the oil) and sauté the onion until it starts to become translucent, then add the garlic and continue sautéing until soft.
3) Add the basil and seasonings and sauté another minute until fragrant.
4) Add the tomatoes and cook another 10 to 15 minutes till most of the liquid from the tomatoes has evaporated. (Most, not all!) When done let cool for a couple of minutes.
5) Sprinkle half the cheese on the bottom of your pie shell, then cover with the tomato mixture and evenly sprinkle the remaining cheese over it.
6) Beat the eggs until foamy, then beat in the half-'n-half and pour the mixture over the cheese and tomato mixture in the pie shell.
7) In a preheated oven bake the quiche at 220 degrees Celsius (425 degrees Fahrenheit) for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to 165 degrees Celsius (325 degrees Fahrenheit and continue cooking for 30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. If you're eating it straightaway let the quiche sit for 10 minutes, then cut, serve, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment