Monday, March 13, 2017

Vegetable Paprika Stew

I tried out this lovely vegetable paprika stew this week as part of my efforts to make my Lenten eating a bit healthier and reduce how much takeaway I eat. (It's one thing to get food delivered when my workday is hectic, but when it's my day off I really have no excuse!) I was working off of this recipe, but as I discovered at the last minute that I was missing key ingredients and in possession of others (namely a bottle of red wine from the weekend) I had to tweak it a bit. I hope you enjoy the results as much as I did! This recipe made eight good-sized portions, so if you're not wanting lots of leftovers you might considering halving the recipe.


I'm a little surprised how long it's been since I last posted here! But given that I was traveling over the Christmas and New Year holidays in December and January, eating out a lot over my Chinese New Year holidays from work in January and February, and then discovered the wonders of Waimai I just haven't been cooking much at home, certainly nothing either (A) new or (B) worth posting. Here's to hoping I get back to being more creative in the kitchen, it'd be nice to have more delicious recipes to share in the near future!



Vegetable Paprika Stew

Ingredients
2 to 4 tablespoons of olive oil
1 large onion (chopped)
4 stalks of celery (chopped)
4 medium carrots (sliced)
8 cloves of garlic (crushed)
2 tablespoons of dried parsley
1 tablespoon of dried Italian herb blend
1 tablespoon of paprika
1/2 tablespoon of dill
1 bay leaf
7 1/2 cups of water
1/2 cup of red wine
1/4 cup of tomato paste
4 medium potatoes (cubed)
1 1/2 cups of peas
Bouillon (to taste)
Pepper (to taste)
Salt (to taste)

Directions
1) Lord, bless!
2) In a large pot sauté the onion, celery, and carrots together for 8 or 10 minutes, then add the garlic and sauté another 5 minutes or so.
3) Add the herbs and paprika sauté another minute.
4) Pour in the water and wine stir in the tomato paste and bouillon.
5) Add the cubed potatoes and peas, bring the to a boil, cover, and low boil for 20 minutes or until the vegetables reach the desired tenderness.
6) Serve as is or with a lovely baguette and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment