Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Greek Potato Stew

This was adapted from this recipe. I hope any Greeks out there aren't offended by the modifications I had to make! This was certainly a lovely, basic stew great for a cold Lenten night!



Greek Potato Stew

Ingredients
1/2 cup of olive oil
1 large onion (chopped)
4 to 6 cloves of garlic (crushed or minced)
1/2 tablespoon of tomato paste (dissolved in 1/2 cup of water)
3 medium tomatoes (diced)
2 teaspoons of dried basil*
2 teaspoons of dried parsley*
1 teaspoon of ground pepper
Bouillon (to taste)
Salt (to taste)
1 cup of soft tofu (cubed)(if desired)
3 cups of water
3 large potatoes (cubed)
1/4 of a lemon

*I had nowhere near as much parsley as the recipe called for (I didn't realize I was almost out of parsley!), so I added the basil and bouillon to give the stew some extra flavor.

Directions
1) Lord, bless!
2) Heat the oil in a large pot and stir in the onion, sautéing until they become translucent.
3) Add the garlic and sauté another 3 or 4 minutes until the onion is soft.
4) Stir in the tomato paste with half a cup of water, tomatoes, seasonings, and bouillon and simmer on low for 10 minutes. If desired, also stir in the tofu. (I added the tofu to improve my protein intake, which hasn't been so good lately.)
5) Add the remaining water and potatoes and bring the pot to a boil before returning the heat to low and simmering for 25 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
6) Squeeze in some lemon juice (be careful not to let any seeds fall in!) and stir.
7) Serve as is, with baguette, or over rice (the perennial accompaniment of my stews here in Asia) and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment