Can you guess what I have a lot of in my pantry right now? If you guessed chickpeas, you would be correct! What follows was loosely based on this recipe, but I took some liberties with the ingredients and preparation, as always. (I mean, come now, TWO cloves of garlic? Just 'cause you're white doesn't mean you have to embrace bland!)
Pumpkin Chickpea Stew
1 medium onion (chopped)
3 to 6 cloves of garlic (crushed)
2 teaspoons of parlsey
1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon of cumin
1/2 teaspoon of cardamom
1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon of powdered ginger
1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
Pepper (to taste)
Salt (to taste)
2 cups of pumpkin puree
1 medium sweet potato (cubed)
1 400-gram can of chickpeas
1/3 cup of water
1 400mL can of coconut milk
1) Lord, bless!
2) Saute the onion in the olive oil in a large pan or a pot until translucent.
3) Mix in the garlic and saute until the onions are soft.
4) Add the spices and seasonings and saute for about a minute until fragrant.
5) Add the pumpkin, sweet potato, chickpeas, and water, cover, and cook for 20 to 30 minutes until the sweet potato cubes are soft.
6) Stir in the coconut milk, adjust the seasonings as necessary, and serve either as is or over rice!