The following recipe is an adaptation of this recipe. It's a lovely, hearty, tomatoey stew perfect for a cold winter or spring night.
Chickpea Curry Stew
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 onion (chopped)
1 medium-large carrot (shredded or diced)
4 to 6 garlic cloves (crushed or minced)
2 medium potatoes (cubed)
1 tablespoon of curry powder
1 tablespoon of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of powdered ginger
Cayenne pepper (to taste)
Pepper (to taste)
Salt (to taste)
2 cups of water
2 15.5-ounce cans of chickpeas (drained/rinsed)
1 small or medium head of broccoli (cut into small florets)
1 28-ounce can of diced tomatoes (with the juice)
1 10-ounce bag of spinach (shredded)
1 13-ounce can of coconut milk
*Use your preferred bouillon to match the amount of water added.
1) Lord, bless!
2) Heat the oil in a pan and saute the onion and carrot together until the onion begins to become translucent, then add the garlic and potatoes and saute another couple of minutes until the onion is completely soft.
3) Stir in the seasonings and sugar and saute another minute until fragrant. Add half a cup of the water to deglaze the pan and transfer the contents of the pan into your crock pot or slow cooker.
4) Add the remaining water and other ingredients excluding the spinach and coconut milk, stir thoroughly, and cook on low for 6 hours.
5) Add the spinach and coconut milk, combine thoroughly, and adjust the seasonings as desired.
6) Serve on its with baguette or - if you're not vegan - a sprinkling of grated parmesan or over some rice and enjoy!